... a January 7, 1536 , died in Kimbolton Castle (England) Queen Catherine of Aragon.
She was the first of the wives of Henry VIII, to whom he was married for over twenty years, and who wanted a divorce to marry Anne Boleyn. Catherine of Aragon, went through many pregnancies, but only survived a couple's daughter, Mary Tudor.
Catherine of Aragon died, after a long illness, assisted by a chaplain who celebrated mass at dawn, the last one that she attended, and the few ladies who were in his entourage, among which was his favorite Maria de Salinas. Received the last rites, prayed for more than two hours for his daughter and the souls people of England and above all, her husband, Henry VIII, and finally died.
During his last hours, he managed to write a letter, to be sent to her husband, Henry VIII. This letter has been preserved, and you transcribing below
My dear lord, king and husband now approaching my death, the tender love I owe you oblige me, I found myself in such a state, to entrust to and remind you a few words health and salvation of your soul, you ought to prefer to all worldly affairs, and before the care and gift of your body, for which I have cast many calamities and yourself to many concerns.
For my part, I forgive you all and wish, by asking God devoutly, he also forgive you. Moreover, I commend our daughter Mary, begging you be a good father to her, as I have always wanted. We also ask you, on behalf of my daughters, they bear their talents, which is not much, being but three. For all my other servers request the wages owed and a year, so there is no underdog. Finally, I make this vow, that mine eyes desire you above all . Catherine of Aragon, Queen of England
Rest in peace, Queen Catherine
0 comments:
Post a Comment